In this In this article, you will learn all about all about the voltmeters tested in the cigarette lighter- “car plug”. I will introduce a few proven types ,you will learn their pros and cons.
First, why measure the voltage of a car battery?
Low voltage = do not start the car
If you have an older battery and you are not sure of its power (capacity), If you have an older battery and you are not sure of its strong (capacity), it is advisable to find out its condition Here is table for “good” or bad “voltage” for car battery.
You can also easily test the alternator charging after starting, the voltage will increase to 13.6V to 14.8V.
I will write more info about battery status detection and tests next time I will now describe a Good models I sell and tested for 12V cars or 24V trucks. I have tested more than about 2000 models and here is my experience:
How do I rate voltmeters?
With more than 2,000 voltmeters tested, I know their strengths and weaknesses.
- Accuracy is important, it’s nice if the voltmeter is accurate to 0.1V in the whole range.
- Stable measurement, the measured voltage must not jump on the display.
- It must not broken on work, for example, the display must work 100%, and the digits must not go out on their own.
- Additional features such as temperature measurement or a USB charging connector are a plus.
I started with this basic voltmeter model:
This is a basic model of a car voltmeter, the device can only measure voltage, you can use it with 12V or 24V connection.It’s an older model for the price you buy a voltmeter with usb, but it does what it has.I have a lot of experience with this voltmeter model, there are pros and cons.
- Fits well into a 12V car socket
- 90% of voltmeters measure stably and accurately
- Price is good 1,5USD-2,5USD
- It has a fuse inside
- 12V measures ok but at 24V some series heated up, it was necessary to remove from the car socket.
- The display scratches easily
Probably the best model, I’ve sold a lot of them and they have almost zero decay.The voltage is measured most accurately and the temperature stabilizes quickly but you must be careful when putting it into the cigarette lighter to avoid damaging the cable from the temperature sensor.
The voltmeter is measured exactly in 12V cars and 24V trucks.
- Very good accuracy in measuring voltage and temperature
- Low failure rate
- Nice black and blue display (several variations)
- Careful when putting it into the cigarette lighter to avoid damaging the cable
Voltmeter Thermometer with USB
The model is similar to the previous model, the difference is that it has USB and has larger dimensions.The Voltmeter model has a small number of failures and errors.The measurement accuracy is good but the previous model has better accuracy and smaller dimensions. This model was produced by the VST brand (they also had other good meters).
- Good combination of measuring car battery thermometer and USB.
- Color variations and display line differences for voltage and temperature.
- 5 USD per meter is still a good price
- the display head is larger can interfere, depending on the design around the cigarette connection, whether there is enough space
- The thermometer sensor is inside I do not know if it is a big disadvantage just needs more time to settle
Dual USB Car Voltmeter with measuring temperature and current consumption of usb ports
This model is special, it has more functions but also a few negatives. A good price is under 5USD for example 3.55USD for your money you get a car battery meter, thermometer and USB charger with two ports.The voltage measurement was inaccurate for many pieces, the deviation was 0.3V and more in addition, the voltage jumped up and down, so the voltage stability is weak.
The thermometer also measures.the thermometer also measures inaccurately the reason is that it is inside and the whole device is a little warm, so the temperature measurement is distorted.Temperature can show in fahrenheit or celsius,when ordering, be careful to choose the right model. (Fahrenheit can be switched to celsius but it wants to hit the inside of the meter).
USB and measuring current consumption in them is ok. One USB port is 3.1A seconsd can give 2.1A this good for fast charging.
Automatic change of values is sometimes impractical, for example, if you want to measure the voltage now, the temperature will jump, then the current consumption and only then will the cycle return to voltage. It would be good if the displayed quantity can be switched with the button.
- Quite a good idea -meter has more functions
- Good USB power
- Some pieces have not accurated measuring voltage and low stability of showed values,the thermometer would also come together more accurately